Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Table Group Jobs

Cross Your Fingers!

Up until this year I have always had classroom jobs, this year I decided to try having more of a "community of responsibility."  Well, it is not working for me.  Pencils seem to always be disappearing, paper scraps are all over the place (despite reminders to clean up after yourself), and the classroom volume could challenge any football game's fans.  

Here is my new plan.  To create table groups in which each member is responsible for one role to keep their group in tact.  (I have seen this before in other classrooms and teachers always seem to like how well it works.)  The 4 roles I created for each group are 1. Clean-Up Crew, 
2. Pencil Sharpener, 3. Supply Collector, and 4. Volume Patrol.

Each week, the students will switch roles going clockwise around the table.  At the end of a month students will get new spots and new group members. 


Each table group will have a copy of the job expectations.  Students will be given 10 minutes at the end of the day to complete their role.


Wish my classroom luck!

**Update** My kiddos are loving this new system!  It is probably too early to really tell, but after 2 days, the kiddos are owning their responsibilities.  They ask to do their jobs regularly throughout the day. And, BOY, my classroom has never been cleaner!


No comments:

Post a Comment